Mr Hastie has written a scathing letter to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull in which he accuses him of “deliberately and flagrantly” ignoring the warnings of the former Federal Police chief about a “frightening” rise in the number of child sex attacks in Sydney’s inner west.
Mr Hasti’s letter to Mr Turnbull, released by News Corp Australia on Thursday, also says he has serious concerns about the Government’s “willingness to ignore the evidence and warnings that have been received from members of the public”.
“The fact that Mr Turnbull appears to have been able to ignore warnings from the highest levels of the police and intelligence services for so long is extremely concerning,” Mr Hasty writes in the letter to the Prime Minister.
“I have serious concerns that the Government has not been willing to take appropriate action to stop the rise in child sexual assault in Sydney.”
“As the father of two young daughters and a former policeman, I am deeply concerned that the current Government is not taking the urgent steps required to protect our vulnerable citizens.” “
Mr Hastied said he had concerns that a lack of action on child sexual exploitation was leading to “serious harm to the victims of this crime”. “
As the father of two young daughters and a former policeman, I am deeply concerned that the current Government is not taking the urgent steps required to protect our vulnerable citizens.”
Mr Hastied said he had concerns that a lack of action on child sexual exploitation was leading to “serious harm to the victims of this crime”.
He said he was also “disappointed” that Ms Bishop did not take “additional proactive measures” to prevent more child sex assaults.
He wrote to Ms Bennett in November, after the Prime Minster made a statement about the rise of child sexual attacks, and “told the media that the number had increased significantly”.
Mr Hastian also accused the Prime Ministers “failure” to take action on the rise, calling the Government “overly complacent”.
The letter said Mr Hastier had a “lack of trust in the leadership of the Government, the way it operates, the processes and the outcomes that have occurred”.
Mr Bennett said Mr Bennett had been “misleading the Australian public” and the Government had been making progress.
“What has happened over the last 18 months is that the Liberal Party has taken an unprecedented number of steps to address the challenges facing the inner-city,” Ms Bennett said.
“And what’s more, we have now achieved a significant step towards ensuring that the Coalition has a clear and clear vision for how we can work with the states, territories and local communities to combat this problem.”
She said Mr Turnbull had also taken “extraordinary steps” to address child sexual assaults, including the appointment of a new Chief of the Defence Force.
“The Government is taking decisive action to protect the safety of all Australians and has put in place a number of new measures to support communities,” she said.
Mr Turnbull has since said the Government was committed to making sure the Government took action to prevent the rise.